[Virtualacorn-list] cmos.ram

Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
Mon Apr 8 11:10:51 BST 2019

In message <1287431530.135939.1554715628702 at communicator.strato.de>
          Steffen Huber via Virtualacorn-list
<virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:

>> "T.O.M.S. via Virtualacorn-list" <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote
>>

>> Good point David. Can I also mention that, if running
>> VirtualRPC-SA or - AdjustSA, there are 3x CMOS files in the Models
>> folder - one for each of the ARM7, ARM7500 and StrongARM core
>> emulations - and to avoid gnashing of teeth it's crucially important
>> to select the correct back-up CMOS file.

> Why should the selected emulated CPU/model be relevant for
> the CMOS content? Hopefully this isn't the case and everything
> in CMOS (beyond the clock, which is irrelevant in V-RPC
> because it uses the host system's clock anyway) is just
> the same.

Not necessarily since the modules might in different order. But ARM7500
has some things the others don't but generally they are similar.

> It would be different if there were different OS versions
> switchable, but as V-RPC is sadly hardwired to the one and
> only version it is delivered with...

Err no, There is RISC OS 4.02 or 4.39 depending on version and of course
RISC OS 6 can be installed and you can switch between the 4 or 6 version,
I know cos I have it that way. Plus someone claims to have retro fitted
RISC OS 5 on VRPC DL somehow, but personally would not recommend it.

>> And if all else fails, rather than having to resort to
>> digging out the master CD, the CMOS Repair Utilities for
>> different variants of VirtualRPC are on
>> http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/dloadpage/betautil.htm
>> (along with a back-up Extensions file).

> It would be a lot more useful to have a version of V-RPC to just
> behave like a standard RPC - if invalid CMOS config (i.e. broken
> or none), startup with red bordered screen and start running
> with defaults.

Are you forgetting this is a Windows program and not real hardware.

--
Chris Hughes
Come to the Wakefield Show 27th April https://www.wakefieldshow.org.uk