[Virtualacorn-list] Multiple recipients

Jeremy Nicoll - ml VA jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Wed Jul 4 10:39:28 BST 2018

On 2018-07-04 09:10, Vince M Hudd via Virtualacorn-list wrote:
> On 03/07/18 14:19, Jim Nagel via Virtualacorn-list wrote:
>> Vince M Hudd via Virtualacorn-list  wrote on 3 Jul:
>
>>> ... the system is set up to not allow messages with multiple
>>> recipients
>
>> In MPro, one of the options when reading a mailinglist message is to
>> "reply to group and include copy to sender" (Ctrl-click on the
>> button).  The result is TO the list and CC the individual.
>
> What a strange option. What good reason is there to - in effect - send
> someone two copies of your reply?

It's a good question, and personally I agree with you(*).

But your email to this list, which I'm replying to, has 'too many'
headers:

   From       Vince via VA list
   Sender     VA list
   To         VA list
   Copy       Vince
   Reply-To   VA list

and in the webamil system I'm using now, 'Reply' and 'Reply All'
buttons are available, with different effects - Reply is back to
the list and ReplyAll is list and you. You can see how many users
would think ReplyAll made sense.

* some email systems won't in fact deliver two copies - they de-dup
   on the mail provider's server if both copies would have ended up
   in the same 'mailbox' (that being a concept whose implementation
   varies between systems, I've found).

   So if someone sends me a private copy of the reply to a list mail
   quite I often I only receive that and not the public copy as well
   and that means that because of no list-server-type headers in the
   private copy, it's not filtered properly when it arrives here.

   The de-dup logic happens if for example I have what the mail
   provider regards as aliases and eg a personal email address

      me at mydomain

   and a list address

      mylistsubs at mydomain

   are both routed to a server mailbox eg

      mybigmailbox at mydomain

   and it's that mailbox I collect mail from.  It also means that if
   one has two family members both subscribed to a single mail list,
   but their mails handled via provider aliases and routed to a
   single family mailbox, only one person will ever see each message.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own