[Virtualacorn-list] Can someone tell me . .

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Mon Dec 10 19:26:29 GMT 2018

In message <5764510404mail at JohnWoodhouse.plus.com>
          John Woodhouse via Virtualacorn-list
<virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10 Dec, Alan Adams via Virtualacorn-list
> <virtualacorn-list at riscository.co.uk> wrote:
>> Do you have an MP4 entry in the Mimetypes file?
> Yes, I do now: having added an emtry with Steffen Huber's BF8 tip.

>> Your email software may use that to identify the file to RISC OS, before
>> it's saved to disc, which in turn uses the hostfs mappings.

>> It might be interesting to save the file to the RAM disc first, and see
>> how it's presented there. That doesan't use the HostFS part of the
>> process.
> On the RAM disc it is shown with the RO extension /mp4

That's expected. The real question is what icon does it use? If it's the
green icon for a data file then it won't map to the Windows mp4 file
extension.

Select the file in the RAM disc, click menu, then info, and see what
filetype is assigned.

The icon on RISC OS is picked up from the RISC OS filetype.
The /<something> in RISC OS is just part of the filename - it has no
special meaning to RISC OS.

HostFS sorts out what it does based on the filetype in RISC OS. That needs
to be right, and if you are extracting the file from email, it's likely
that the mimetype is used to create the RISC OS filetype. If there's no
Mimetype entry, the RISC OS type will be Data, i.e "I don't kinow what
this is".

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk