[Virtualacorn-list] Where is VRPC DL?

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 16:31:28 BST 2017

In article <742006021.271127.1506530210773 at communicator.strato.de>,
   Steffen Huber <steffen at huber-net.de> wrote:
> > Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > In article <102980835.262677.1506519654848 at communicator.strato.de>,
> >    Steffen Huber <steffen at huber-net.de> wrote:
> > > I am not sure what problems Dave has running RPCEmu from
> > > anywhere including an USB stick - I do that all the time.
> >
> > I don't have any problem running RPCEmu on a USB stick or USB-3 SSD.
> > 4.02, 4.39, 6.20 or even ROOL 5.23.
> >
> > The real biggy problem is the Networking.

> Yes, obviously - but why is that problem in any way related to
> running it from a USB-connected device???

> Somehow I don't get your point. Your posting where you claimed
> that "You can't do that with RPCEmu." answered a posting by John
> who asked if he could run the emulator from a memory stick. You
> wrote multiple paragraphs talking about memory sticks, USB-3
> devices and everything apart from networking. I'm confused.

I'm even more confused... ;-)

If you read the paragraph of mine you've quoted above, it specifically
says "I don't have any problem running PCEmu on a USB stick or USB-3 SSD.
4.02, 4.39, 6.20 or even ROOL 5.23."

You can take the Stick/SSD install, to any Windows computer and it will
work and give you RISC OS.

I then go on to say about networking.

Specifically, that means it will run on the stick/SSD, but unless you FU
the underlying Windows default networking, RPCEmu will NOT connect to the
network.

No and if or but about it.

So you cannot take your stick/SSD RPCEmu to another computer, your own, or
with you on a visit to a friend/relative and get it to network without
first doing a FU on their computers networking.

VRPC-DL networks transparently through the underlying Windows networking
so doesn't require the FU of that computers network configuration.

Additionally, on your own computer, on which you have a RPCEmu installed,
if you FU the Win networking to get IT/RPCEmu networking, any older VRPC
versions you might also have installed will fail to work because of the
VRPC install being locked to the Computers networking...

Thereafter doing a FU to the networking configs breaks the old VRPC lock.

Yes you can get a new unlock from Aaron and annoy him in the process...

Been there done all this many time over the years...

Dave

--

Dave Triffid