[Virtualacorn-list] Where is VRPC DL?

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 28 10:05:30 BST 2017

In article
<102980835.262677.1506519654848 at communicator.strato.de>,
   Steffen Huber <steffen at huber-net.de> wrote:
> > John McCartney <j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> > In article <5681c2ba3adave at triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
> > <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > > Indeed it will, I have my Everyday use VRPC-DL 6.20
> > > backed onto a USB-3 memory stick from where it will
> > > run directly on any computer if needed.
> >
> > Thanks very much Dave, that's just what I need to know.
> >
> > > You can't do that with RPCEmu.  :-(
> >
> > There's a lot you can't do with RPCEmu! Particularly
> > getting your head round the networking side.

> Actually, networking is the only remaining big advantage
> of VA compared to RPCEmu. The most annoying thing in VA
> is the way it handles the host mouse - RPCEmu has a
> nearly- perfect host-following-mouse mode, in VA you can
> only do "capture the mouse" or "full-screen". There once
> was a Red Squirrel plugin to implement host-following,
> but it stopped working in VA a long time ago.

I always use it in full-screen mode and only come across
the mouse's shortcomings when I drop back to Windows
temporarily. Parking the window on the task bar to get it
out of the way is only a click away.

> And VA cannot easily use RO5, which is also annoying.

I didn't know it could be done at all! I'm still in the
process of migrating to RO5 on my ARMX6 so having RO5 on
both machines would save some confusion.

> Same goes for pre-RO4 versions. Emulators are great to
> easily check compatibility with different OS version
> setups - in theory. In practice, VA is nearly useless for
> that.

That's not a problem for me.

> I am not sure what problems Dave has running RPCEmu from
> anywhere including an USB stick - I do that all the time.

> Have fun

I will (hopefully).

John

--