[Virtualacorn-list] Where is VRPC DL?

John McCartney j.mccartney at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 27 14:16:17 BST 2017

In article <5681fee48fdave at triffid.co.uk>, Dave Symes
<dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> John, If I may, something to look out for when using
> copies on sticks or SSD, though the same applies if you
> have multiple version on a same computer.

> In the Models file "model.cfg" of your Stick or SSD
> install...

> Check that the Mount entry for the Boot Harddisc4 doesn't
> point at a specific path.

> Thus: mount0 = "HardDisc4
> 'C:\Apps\VirtualRPC-DL620\HardDisc4' bootopt=2,showext"

> If it does, edit it.

> Thus: mount0 = "HardDisc4 'HardDisc4' bootopt=2,showext"

> To prevent accidents... !!! Won't bore you now with the
> past experience, but I will expand if you need additional
> explanation.

Thanks for all this, Dave, but it might all be for nought.
Let me explain (and apologise for wasting your time).

While staying with my son last weekend, I discovered that
my laptop had CCleaner v5.33 on it. That's the version that
carried an 'unwanted' payload. It's now had Windows 7
reinstalled from scratch and I'm in the process of
finalising the set up.

My son suggested that I run Linux on the laptop instead of
Windows. "But how will I run VRPC?" I asked. "Easy!" he
said. "Run Windows in a virtual machine."

I'm currently trying to set up Virtualbox in Linux Mint on
my old sacrificial PC. When (or more likely, if) I succeed,
I'll set it up on the laptop. It was to be for the laptop
that I was considering using VRPC DL.

About half an hour ago, I woke from a post-lunch snooze,
cursing my inability to think properly and with the problem
solved. Who said sleep was a waste of time?

Why do I need VRPC DL when I've already got a full
StrongARM Adjust running on the laptop? Of course, I don't!
I'll just install it on Windows 7 inside Virtualbox and it
will see all the hardware it expects to see.

Right, I'll go for another kip and see if I can't solve the
problem of Brexit at the same time.

John

--
John McCartney