[Virtualacorn-list] VA won't start properly

Chris Newman cvjazz at waitrose.com
Fri Mar 3 17:23:42 GMT 2017

In article <5616FF2F3F%mik.towse at xemik.com>, Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com>
wrote:
> In article <5616b52caccvjazz at waitrose.com> Chris Newman  wrote:
> > I have a Lenovo laptop with 250 GB SSD. It runs Windows 10 & has VA 4.39
> > on a partition. It came from RComp.
> >
> > The SSD  failed & a local firm put in a new one in & reinstalled W10. The
> > VA stuff was saved.
> By saved, do you mean you just copied it back on to the new drive rather
> than re-install it?

Yes. They didn't have a Virtual Acorn disc. They would have just rescued the
contents of the partition & copied them back.

> If it's the former, then you may be missing vital
> Regostry entries.
According to a discusiion I had with Aaron eons ago, VA doesn't touch the
registry.

> > VA exe doesn't always work. I have to click it several times to get
> > something to happen. (It has alays been a bit flaky).
> >
> > Now, when it does work, it won't initialize correctly.
> >
> > I get the Boot menu green screen with
> >
> > 1. Boot from ADFS harddrive 2  Boot from CD drive W. Configure machine X.
> > Exit to desktop Y. Exit to command line.
> Obviously this is not correct. You should have an entry to boot from
> HostFS. Silly queston, but did you try W to see if you can configure
> anything?

W reported you can't reconfigure this machine.

> > Also an error error message thus...
> >
> > An error occurred during Boot Incompatible host Press any key to continue
> >
> > I can exit to desktop but if I click on HardDisc4  I get "Error when
> > reading HostFS::HardDisc4.$ - Not Found
> IIRC VRPC defaults to minimal ADFS HD configuraion of it can't find your
> 'real' boot drive.

> [snip]
> > From the Virtual Acorn I can open HardDisc4. I can even get some things
> > working eg !Organiser, !Ancestor+ etc  ie anything that doesn't need
> > !Boot to be seen.
> >
> > So I know HardDisc4 is there & everything in it looks as it should be.
> You say that VRPC is on a partition, did you set the drive letter for the
> partition on the new drive to the same as the one on the old drive?

I'll check that out & report back. Tomorrow, hopefully.

> Also,
> have you tried running VRPC from the main partition?
Not yet.

They were not able to save the copy on the main drive C. I could possibly
copy everything to the C drive & try again.

 I have a copy of VA Adjust 3.9 but Andrew put a copy on at RComp. For people
who already have a copy, he has an agreement with Aaron to do it from the
copy at his end so I don't know if the protection number thingy will work on
the  disc I have (If you see what I mean).

IIRC I took a backup of everything before I took the m/c to the menders &
there's also a recovery partition with a copy of the RiscOS boot so I'll do
some investigating as soon as time permits.

Thanks for your help.

--
Chris