[Virtualacorn-list] File types between RISC OS and Mac

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Mon Jul 6 22:52:06 BST 2015

On 6 Jul at 21:43, Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <mpro.nr2r2q2r61oxw006z.tim at powys.org>,
>    Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim at powys.org> wrote:
> > You wrote on 6 Jul at 15:49:
>
> > > In article <mpro.nr278x2b2wawa006z.tim at powys.org>,
> > >    Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim at powys.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > [Snippy]

> > > If you have it configured to do so, recent versions of Firefox on
> > > Windows can natively handle .pdf files. (I'm on 39.0 at the
> > > moment).
>
> > That might be the best medium term bet as SVG files are not
> > universally loved so far.
>
> > On the Mac Firefox it's at 38.0.5, so it can't be far to go.
>
> > Thanks.
>
> That's somewhat interesting, on my laptop (Win 7) I still have Firefox
> 38.0.5 and if you have it configured to do so, 38.0.5 will also handle
> .pdf files.  (No PDF addons/extensions are installed).
>
> Options-Applications is where you do the config.

I have tried loads of options and cannot get Firefox 39 to display PDF
files presented to it by some HTML.

There are five different options in Options-Applications
(Preferences-Applications on a Mac) for displaying PDF or Adobe PDF
files.  None of them do the display here.  Closing and restarting
Firefox makes no difference.  I've tried variations on the HTML.  As
always it must be something simple, but it has yet to get me by the
short and curlies.

The Firefox 'Inspect Element' facility gives this error when I hover
over the code to pick up the PDF image: "Could not load the image".

The odd thing is that if a PDF file is dragged to Firefox it displays
very well.  It just does not like the HTML, though Safari likes the same
HTML and Firefox likes the same HTML with one change, of the extension
from 'pdf' to 'svg'.

On the good news front, my son's newish Windows-powered smartphone
handles SVG files excellently.  But his ancient Windows portable with an
unspecified old version of Internet Explorer does not see SVG files at
all.

I think I've established that all this shows no problem with ArtWorks
within VRPC, so I had better move on to another list or group.

> Dave
>
> Additionally interesting...
>
> My Puppy Linux install has Firefox 33.0 and if configured so, can
> handle .pdf files natively.  (No PDF addons/extensions are installed).

Just put one of those in my Firefox in my Mac!

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim at powys.org
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/