[Virtualacorn-list] Mouse nightmare

Vince M Hudd vince at softrock.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 21:17:14 GMT 2014

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:

> Vince M Hudd <vince at softrock.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > It didn't occur to me until I was actually using my laptop *like a
> > laptop* at one point today - but my laptop keyboard lacks a 'menu' key

> Wouldn't it be easier then to map some other keyboard combination so it
> produces 'menu'?

Why would that be easier when the options are there, in VRPC? I made the
quite reasonable assumption that they would do what I want - and would do
what I want to set things *back* for use on a desk.

[...]

> > Since I didn't have a mouse handy (which is likely to be the case when
> > using it as a laptop - and even if I carry one in the bag, I can't be
> > sure of having anywhere to use it)

> Some of the wireless notebook 'laser' mice are very small and will track
> on pretty much any surface, eg a trouser leg...

Possibly, if I'd registered in advance that the keyboard lacked a menu key,
and realised what would happen when I set the option in VRPC to get around
that, I *might* have bought such a mouse already, and kept it in my laptop
bag - and therefore had one with me at the time when I tried to benefit from
the fact that I had VRPC to hand.

But that's hindsight for you. :/

(Also, if I'm doing anything that needs precision in such a situation, I
suspect I'd find the touchpad more practical than a mouse being used on a
trouser leg. Having the options do what they're supposed to so I can switch
back and forth as necessary strikes me as more practical.)

Meanwhile, the options claim to be set the way I want, and persist in doing
what I don't.

--
Vince M Hudd, Soft Rock Software - www.softrock.co.uk

The RISC OS Awards & Survey results: www.riscosawards.co.uk