[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC being sluggish.

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Mon Mar 17 12:46:33 GMT 2014

In message <933051C6887540BE9F2443761324F71B at philipsdesktop>
          "T.O.M.S." <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:

> Hello Folks

> In message <6d1676e953.pnyoung at pnyoung.ormail.co.uk>
>           Peter Young <pnyoung at ormail.co.uk> wrote:

>> I've found a lot of time that the response to
>> the keyboard is very slow, and sometimes a relatively high
>> proportion of keystrokes don't get registered. There's also
>> sometimes a sluggish response to menu clicks.

> We fully agree with Mike H's follow-up.

> A quickly-done check is whether the hard disc activity LED is busy, as
> that may well indicate that lots of processor power is being used up,
> maybe elsewhere.

> Try the dreaded <Ctrl-Alt-Delete>, select the Processes tab and see
> what the bottom line ('System Idle Process'I is saying. If anything
> less than around 98% in the CPU column, have a shufti further up the
> column (including VirtualRPC) to see where the oomph is going. It
> might well pin down the culprit, e.g. your anti-virus prog.

> HTH,

Make sure VRPC isn't set to use excessive memory. Using more than half
the physical memory available to Windows will hurt performance. In
addition the startup memory test will take longer.

You can get a lot more information from the task manager.
If you click on a column heading it sorts the display by that column,
making it east to see, for example, the top CPU processes.

With the processes tab selected, use the View menu, and Select
Columns.

I generally select I/O reads, I/O writes, Page Fault Delta.

If something, e.g. virus scan or Windows Update is doing a lot of disc
activity it may not show up in CPU, but it will show up in I/O reads
and writes.

Page fault DELTA shows how often the system needs to reclaim memory
from one process to give to another. It's an indication that the
virtual memory system is using the disc. Figures much greater than 10
can be significant, and greater than 100 indicate a lack of physical
memory for the current workload. Adding memory is a fairly cheap way
to improve performance in such situations. (Memory access is typically
100 times faster than disc, so once virtual memory is active
performance suffers. If the pagefile gets fragmented, it's even
worse.)

At the bottom of the processes screen it shows % physical memory used.
If that is over 75% you need to get more memory, or reduce demand.

Don't forget to defragment the disc. Over time files, especially the
pagefile, get fragmented, and it means instead of one disc request for
a piece of data, multiple requests are needed. On the disc, click
Properties, then Tools, and then Defragment now.

When I install Windows, I usually try to create a separate partition
for the pagefile, which prevents it from becoming fragmented, since it
isn't allocating space that has been released by other file activity.