[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC Suddenly Become Very Slow

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 19:50:10 BST 2014

In article <542AC243BD%mik.towse at xemik.com>,
   Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

[Snippy]
> It just occurred to me, perhaps I should plug it in to the Netbook. This
> is one reason it's on a USB drive, so I can simply move the whole setup
> when I go on holiday.

> Also the reason I have the program on the C: drive of each computer, so
> I don't have any hardware issues (in theory). Windows doesn't like being
> bullied into making the USB drive E: on both, though, it gets upset with
> it's DVD drive letter. ;) Yeah, it always default to D: but my latest PC
> uses that for a recovery partition! <sigh>

The above confuses me somewhat considering...

You can't shuffle VRPC around on USB Drives, or memory sticks like you can
with RPCEmu for two reasons.
1) The creature is tied to the machine it's installed on by the network
adaptor. (That can be overcome if you know how) but for the average user
where you install it is where it stays, unless you get a new code from
Aaron.

Simply making mods to the Networking is usually enough to FU the VRPC
install.

2) When it is installed VRPC has a line in the Models (Model) Model.cfg
file that defines the path to the mounted HD.
If you move the VRPC install, even on the installed computer to another
place, it won't find the mount.
Unless you re-mount or manually edit that path in the Model.cfg file.

Similarly, if you've installed it from scratch on a USB Hard drive on to
say drive D: and something else at some point is attached/installed that
takes drive D: and forces the VRPC USB drive on to E: it's not going to
find that mount.
Experience from long ago makes me always set portable drives to a letter
way along the alphabet, that way they don't get trampled or arbitrarily
reset.

In Win 7 "Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Computer
Management-Storage-Disk management"
ATM. I have P: T: Z: X: portable drives.

Dave

Aside...
That said...
RPCEmu for portability isn't even an easy solution, it uses some weird
bridging solution for networking rather than as VRPC does... Use the
native Windows networking.

This means yes you can put RPCEmu on a memory stick and take it anywhere
(in my case) with a MS Win computer and it will run okay.

Unfortunately to get it to network out and about, requires modifying the
network settings of the other persons computer.

Can't really go and stay with my sister and her husband and ask to mess
with their computers networking just so I can run RPCEmu while I'm there
for the week.

Sorry waffling a bit... Train of thought tweaked into action and all that.
 :-(

Dave

--

Dave Triffid