[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC Suddenly Become Very Slow

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Mon Jul 21 21:28:22 BST 2014

In article <542ad34275dave at triffid.co.uk> Dave Symes  wrote:
> In article <542AC243BD%mik.towse at xemik.com>,
>    Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> [Snippy]
> > It just occurred to me, perhaps I should plug it in to the Netbook. This
> > is one reason it's on a USB drive, so I can simply move the whole setup
> > when I go on holiday.
>
> > Also the reason I have the program on the C: drive of each computer, so
> > I don't have any hardware issues (in theory). Windows doesn't like being
> > bullied into making the USB drive E: on both, though, it gets upset with
> > it's DVD drive letter. ;) Yeah, it always default to D: but my latest PC
> > uses that for a recovery partition! <sigh>
> The above confuses me somewhat considering...
>
> You can't shuffle VRPC around on USB Drives, or memory sticks like you can
> with RPCEmu for two reasons.
[snip]
Yes, that is true, and, as stated in the part you quote another post, too)
VRPC is installed & runs from C: on both PCs.

There /is/ a copy of VRPC on the USB purely as a backup, but it not used to
run VRPC.

> 2) When it is installed VRPC has a line in the Models (Model) Model.cfg
> file that defines the path to the mounted HD.
> If you move the VRPC install, even on the installed computer to another
> place, it won't find the mount.
> Unless you re-mount or manually edit that path in the Model.cfg file.
Not so. The point of installing the VRPC HDD images on drive E: is to ensure
that the same drive letter is used on both desktop & netbook without
modification. The only issue, really, is the screen resolution. The Desktop
is, of course, substantially bigger than on the Netbook. I could change that,
but the VRPC Desktop does scroll on the Netbook. A pain, but sufficient for
accessing email, etc.

> Similarly, if you've installed it from scratch on a USB Hard drive on to
> say drive D: and something else at some point is attached/installed that
> takes drive D: and forces the VRPC USB drive on to E: it's not going to
> find that mount.
Of course, which is why you have to tell Windows what letter to use for the
USB drive ob BOTH PCs. So E: is always reserved for the USB drive.

> Experience from long ago makes me always set portable drives to a letter
> way along the alphabet, that way they don't get trampled or arbitrarily
> reset.
Sure, but the VRPC drives have lived on the USB for a /very/ long time. When
it was set up most people had one HDD & one DVD. Removable media was usually
on F:. So when it was set up I was allocated E: & that's how it's stayed ever
since.

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

The greatest of faults is to be conscious of none.