[Virtualacorn-list] !TempBin no longer works on 256MB RAM

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Fri Jan 10 12:47:24 GMT 2014

On 10 Jan 2014, T.O.M.S. wrote:

> On Fri Jan 10 10:03:59 GMT 2014 Roger Darlington rogerarm at
> freeuk.com sayeth:

>> Well, I was warned that some things may not work properly if
>> 256MB RAM is set (in one contiguous memory block using
>> just one [Ram] setting) when using:

>> VA-RPC-SA-Adjust  ARM7500  RO4.39 running on Windows7 64 bit.

>> and I have indeed just come across one such program:
>> !Temp Bin

> I'm not familiar with TempBin but, if it goes back a millennium or so,
> it may well be another of those aged apps which don't like an 'excess'
> of RAM.

>> Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?

> Not a fix as such, but fairly easily worked around. If it works OK
> with 172MB RAM configured, then you *may* find it still works OK with
> 256MB RAM configured, but by reducing the *Free* RAM to 172MB or less.

> In the past, we've suggested that a reasonably convenient way of doing
> that is to (temporarily) enable a RAM disc. If you set the latter to
> (say) 75MB, double check that reduces Free RAM to less than 172MB -
> and does TempBin then work OK?

No, it doesn't appear to be that. RAM set to 75MB on desktop, [Ram]
set to 256MB in ARM7500 model.

No difference, still filer trouble.

I reckon it might be something to do with either long filenames, or
many items in one directory.

Strange then, that its fine with only 176MB but not with 192MB or
256MB of [Ram].