[Virtualacorn-list] !TempBin no longer works on 256MB RAM

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Fri Jan 10 22:46:46 GMT 2014

Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

>I reckon it might be something to do with either long filenames, or
>many items in one directory.

That's unlikely; the DA problem that Druck mentioned is far more likely to
be the problem.  I used to use 256 MB in a real RPC, and that didn't work
properly until I acquired a utility that juggled the RO memory map (or
something)...

Dynamic Areas (DAs) are, IIRC, chunks of memory, not within an app's wimp
slot, which can be requested by an app, from the OS. In this context,
'dynamic' means that the both size of an area and its location in the
overall memory map can vary from one use to the next. Unfortunately some
apps ask for "as much as possible" and get it which then removes all the
free RAM that other apps need, so the other apps (or the OS or the filer,
say) then crash.  I can't quite remember why 256 MB causes such a problem,
but it's fair to say that the code that controls how DAs work was written
when it was pretty unusual even to have 128 MB of RAM let alone 256 MB.