[Virtualacorn-list] !TempBin no longer works on 256MB RAM

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Fri Jan 10 10:36:00 GMT 2014

On Fri Jan 10 10:03:59 GMT 2014 Roger Darlington rogerarm at
freeuk.com sayeth:

> Well, I was warned that some things may not work properly if
> 256MB RAM is set (in one contiguous memory block using
> just one [Ram] setting) when using:

> VA-RPC-SA-Adjust  ARM7500  RO4.39 running on Windows7 64 bit.

> and I have indeed just come across one such program:
> !Temp Bin

I'm not familiar with TempBin but, if it goes back a millennium or so,
it may well be another of those aged apps which don't like an 'excess'
of RAM.

> Anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?

Not a fix as such, but fairly easily worked around. If it works OK
with 172MB RAM configured, then you *may* find it still works OK with
256MB RAM configured, but by reducing the *Free* RAM to 172MB or less.

In the past, we've suggested that a reasonably convenient way of doing
that is to (temporarily) enable a RAM disc. If you set the latter to
(say) 75MB, double check that reduces Free RAM to less than 172MB -
and does TempBin then work OK?

If it does work, I guess a permanent solution might be to
tweak TempBin to increase its application slot or whatever. I dunno
how that might be done, but HTH.

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.