[Virtualacorn-list] A little problem

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Tue Jan 7 15:08:19 GMT 2014

In article <C8CE7A594E684E82A25EB0022991C053 at philipsdesktop> T.O.M.S. wrote:
> On Tue Jan 7 10:54:55 GMT 2014 Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
> sayeth:
>
> On 30 Sep 2013, Dave Symes  wrote:
> >> More to the point on MY machine that went TU at the end of 2012 my
> >> VRPC install was on a Win XP OS, I just copied the whole VRPC
> >> from it to the new Win 7 Pro machine (Exactly as now to the same
> >> named place) and after entering the new unlock code, it just
> >> worked.
> > That way around is worthy of note if  you haven't already said that
> > elsewhere T.O.M.S.
> Thank for the nudge Roger. We did mention it in Supplement 7 to
> VirtualRPC In Use (July 2011, last 3 paras on p26) although that was
> specific to moving an existing VirtualRPC installation onto a netbook.
> But it should work in principle with any similar transfer and it's
> nice to know that (as Dave said) it worked when going from Windows XP
> to 7.
There is a gotcha though that you need to be wary of. Modern systems will
probably have a Sata DVD installed & may don't support ATAPI. So if your
original version of VRPC supports ATAPI & has atapicd.dll in the plugin
folder, VRPC will not run on the new system.

The work around is on the VA website, ie move the dll so it isn't in the
plugin folder, but this has the disadvantage of not allowing direct access to
the DVD drive. Of course, you can mount the DVD as a PC share, but that's not
ideal.

I wonder if it's possible and/or advisable to replace the Sata DVD in my new
w8 CP with the DVD out of my old, dead PC.

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

No one can feel as helpless as the owner of a sick goldfish.