[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 External drives **Newsflash**

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Thu Aug 14 10:43:52 BST 2014

In article <5436bf2a44brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> Brian Jordan  wrote:

> In article <F201FEC775E6486497811F3A5F49AB9F at philipsdesktop>,
>    T.O.M.S. <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > -  This topic goes back a number of years, well before my long-term
> > memory got overwritten, but I think the 'interface' issue is
> > specifically with HostFS.
> Yes, I don't have much knowledge of this and I have until now not
> entirely understood that VA and HostFS are not the same thing.
I have a vague recollection that HostFS had some issue with later Windows
filing systems, which were addressed in HostFS2. Are you using the latest
version?

> > There was (I think) some discussion on the Forum but the general
> > concensus was that, as you can always regain control via Windows, it
> > wasn't felt to be something that HAD to be fixed.
> I have seen none of that but I'm sure this is mostly true, however there
> are issues. If one is developing software (in my case fairly trivial
> personal use DrWimp stuff) which puts data on an external mount and which
> then tries to manipulate any related data including directory removal
> this seems to be a bit of a minefield.
That's interesting... When I wrote TaskMaster in the 90s, it deleted empty
directories on start-up. But after changes to the Filecore in RISC OS (can't
remember which version) my program stopped deleting them. I never got round
to finding out why, but I think it was when they changed how a Move worked.
IIRC a Move used to do a Copy/Delete, which was changed to a Rename if the
Move was on the same surface.

To get to the point, I'm assuming that, since dir' deletions weren't working
from your program, you tried doing them 'by hand' from a filer window?

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net