[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 External drives **Newsflash**

Brian Jordan brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 13 23:25:07 BST 2014

In article <F201FEC775E6486497811F3A5F49AB9F at philipsdesktop>,
   T.O.M.S. <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:

> On Wed Aug 13 15:12:32 BST 2014 , Brian Jordan brian.jordan9 at
> btinternet.com sayeth:

> > So... As empty directories can be deleted this way from VA
> > can I infer that the problem I have described is more a
> > VA/Win 8.1 interface issue than a Windows Owners/
> > permissions issue?

> Just a couple of observations Brian. They may - or may not - be
> relevant.
I'm sure they are relevant.

> -  It may not be limited to Windows 8.1.  I can replicate the symptoms
> on Windows XP, and the <emptytemp> utility works fine.

> -  This topic goes back a number of years, well before my long-term
> memory got overwritten, but I think the 'interface' issue is
> specifically with HostFS.
Yes, I don't have much knowledge of this and I have until now not
entirely understood that VA and HostFS are not the same thing.

> There was (I think) some discussion on the Forum but the general
> concensus was that, as you can always regain control via Windows, it
> wasn't felt to be something that HAD to be fixed.
I have seen none of that but I'm sure this is mostly true, however there
are issues. If one is developing software (in my case fairly trivial
personal use DrWimp stuff) which puts data on an external mount and which
then tries to manipulate any related data including directory removal
this seems to be a bit of a minefield.

> As an observation, if you set up an IDEFS4 'disc' mount under
> VirtualRPC, the Access...Protected/Unprotected filer actions and
> ticked/unticked indications appear to work as normal. Then again, the
> IDEFS4 disc is a special partition, so I don't suppose Windows has any
> control over the file/folder contents (Read-only, Permissions, etc).
Agreed

On the whole it would appear that, in my particular situation, I should
be very wary of using external drive pointed to by HostFS mounts if I
want to sleep soundly.

Brian
[Snip]

Brian Jordan