[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 External drives **Newsflash**

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Thu Aug 14 10:45:15 BST 2014

In message <5436bf2a44brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com>
          Brian Jordan <brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> In article <F201FEC775E6486497811F3A5F49AB9F at philipsdesktop>,
>    T.O.M.S. <admin at toms12.plus.com> wrote:

>> On Wed Aug 13 15:12:32 BST 2014 , Brian Jordan brian.jordan9 at
>> btinternet.com sayeth:

>>> So... As empty directories can be deleted this way from VA
>>> can I infer that the problem I have described is more a
>>> VA/Win 8.1 interface issue than a Windows Owners/
>>> permissions issue?

<snip>

>> As an observation, if you set up an IDEFS4 'disc' mount under
>> VirtualRPC, the Access...Protected/Unprotected filer actions and
>> ticked/unticked indications appear to work as normal. Then again, the
>> IDEFS4 disc is a special partition, so I don't suppose Windows has any
>> control over the file/folder contents (Read-only, Permissions, etc).
> Agreed

> On the whole it would appear that, in my particular situation, I should
> be very wary of using external drive pointed to by HostFS mounts if I
> want to sleep soundly.

I am fairly sure this is an owner issue. As the external drive was
probably formatted on a different system, the owner of the root
directory will have a different SID from the administrator on  your
system (users are identified to the system by a magic number called an
SID, Security Identifier, which for convenience of users has a name
like "administrator" attached.)

I would suggest creating a new folder on the external drive, and
setting its permissions to "everyone: full access". Note that Everyone
is more inclusive than Users - it includes Guests. Also check that
Creator/owner gets full access. Make that folder the shared one, and
try again.

There are two ways the problem might be caused.

One is if VA tries to do what you ask, is refused by Windows, and
reports that.

The other is if VA checks to see if it *thinks* it can do the
operation, and reports back if it *thinks* it would not be allowed.

I suspect you are seeing case 2.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk