[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 External drives **Newsflash**

T.O.M.S. admin at toms12.plus.com
Wed Aug 13 20:47:38 BST 2014

On Wed Aug 13 15:12:32 BST 2014 , Brian Jordan brian.jordan9 at
btinternet.com sayeth:

> So... As empty directories can be deleted this way from VA
> can I infer that the problem I have described is more a
> VA/Win 8.1 interface issue than a Windows Owners/
> permissions issue?

Just a couple of observations Brian. They may - or may not - be
relevant.

-  It may not be limited to Windows 8.1.  I can replicate the symptoms
on Windows XP, and the <emptytemp> utility works fine.

-  This topic goes back a number of years, well before my long-term
memory got overwritten, but I think the 'interface' issue is
specifically with HostFS.

There was (I think) some discussion on the Forum but the general
concensus was that, as you can always regain control via Windows, it
wasn't felt to be something that HAD to be fixed.

As an observation, if you set up an IDEFS4 'disc' mount under
VirtualRPC, the Access...Protected/Unprotected filer actions and
ticked/unticked indications appear to work as normal. Then again, the
IDEFS4 disc is a special partition, so I don't suppose Windows has any
control over the file/folder contents (Read-only, Permissions, etc).

Alex Hamilton
pp T.O.M.S.