[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 External drives

Brian Jordan brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 13 11:40:30 BST 2014

In article <54367AFF8A%mik.towse at xemik.com>,
   Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

[Snip]

> So the VA mounts are the Partition root? Might it be worth creating a
> mounted folder /on/ the Partition to see if this helps? Windows might
> not like VA accessing root!

I thought that might be the answer as I was looking at this in the small
hours, sadly it wasn't.

> > I'm not too familiar with Windows but all users seem to have
> > permission to do everything everywhere.
> As others have pointed out, this doesn't necessarily mean they can do
> everything! You may need to specifically set permissions on the mounts.

JN pointed me to an area of the www discussing problems with w8.1
external drives. While VA isn't discussed there specifically it is
clearly a minefield into which I am going to stop wandering for the time
being.

DS offered a ray of hope by directing me to some registry altering
software. It worked insofar as I was able to take ownership of the
directories and files on the drive but my original VA problem stayed with
me.

I am wasting far too much time on this at the moment and will just do
what I have previously done, and Alex has suggested, by using file
explorer to delete any unwanted directories. Maybe in the dark days of
Winter I'll take another look.

Thanks to all who have tried to help.

I have just noticed that on 13/5/2014 VA announced an updated
VirtualRPC-AdjustSA for Windows which claims to be improved and to better
support Windows 8. This may be related but I am aware that Aaron has
other stuff going on just now so I won't be bugging him about this.

Thanks again

Brian Jordan
Virtual RPC-AdjustSA on Windows 8.1 Pro
RISC OS 6.20