[Virtualacorn-list] Windows 8.1 External drives

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Wed Aug 13 11:00:33 BST 2014

In article <54363f5cbbbrian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> Brian Jordan  wrote:

> In article <54362E15A2%mik.towse at xemik.com>,
>    Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> > In article <54360a10c1brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> Brian Jordan  wrote:
> > > I have connected a USB external hard drive to my WINDOWS 8.1 machine.
> > > It has two partitions which show as mounts on my VA and I am able to
> > > read and write to and from both.
>
> > I am using a USB HDD for my VRPC mounts (W8.1), but they are all on a
> > single standard partition. Do you actually mean Partition or are they
> > merely Wondows Folders?
> I mean partitions. The drive is partitioned as Zen(X:) 70.9GB and
> Orac(Z:) 78.1GB, There is a VA mount pointing to Zen, VA_backup is X:\
> where SafeStore is directed.
So the VA mounts are the Partition root? Might it be worth creating a mounted
folder /on/ the Partition to see if this helps? Windows might not like VA
accessing root!

> I'm not too familiar with Windows but all users seem to have permission to
> do everything everywhere.
As others have pointed out, this doesn't necessarily mean they can do
everything! You may need to specifically set permissions on the mounts.

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

A meeting is an event at which the minutes are kept and the hours are lost