[Virtualacorn-list] Failure of ShareFS with a Mac OS Lion host

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Mon Nov 21 18:30:09 GMT 2011

In message <mpro.lv0svw009vgev008g at wingsandbeaks.org.uk.invalid>
          Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn
<jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:

> Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim at powys.org> wrote:

>> Thanks for that but Mac, being a helpful operating system, only allows
>> one to avoid its firewall by Application and has absolutely no facility
>> for enabling ports.  So I added VirtualRPC to the list but it made no
>> difference.

> But surely file sharing must be possible.  I know nothing about Macs, but to
> me: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1810  somewhat implies that in the
> firewall's 'Advanced Settings', having '1. Block all incoming connections:'
> turned on will prevent sharing from working.  Have you got that block
> disabled?

> Does file-sharing with a Windows PC work?

ShareFS uses broadcasts. The machine offering the service broadcasts
information about the service which the client needs to hear. It seems
likely that the Macv firewall is blocking these.

As I have no access to a Mac, I can't suggest a solution.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk
http://www.nckc.org.uk/