[Virtualacorn-list] Failure of ShareFS with a Mac OS Lion host

Tim Powys-Lybbe tim at powys.org
Tue Nov 22 11:43:38 GMT 2011

On 21 Nov at 17:07, Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn
<jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:

> Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim at powys.org> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for that but Mac, being a helpful operating system, only
> > allows one to avoid its firewall by Application and has absolutely
> > no facility for enabling ports.  So I added VirtualRPC to the list
> > but it made no difference.
>
> But surely file sharing must be possible.

It is indeed and it works as I can now share by using FTP.

> I know nothing about Macs, but to me:
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1810  somewhat implies that in the
> firewall's 'Advanced Settings', having '1. Block all incoming
> connections:' turned on will prevent sharing from working.  Have you
> got that block disabled?

I have tried both (a) disabling the Mac firewall totally and (b)
enabling the firewall but not disabling all incoming connections.  With
the firewall totally disabled, it was possible to set the RPC disc to be
shared, but this could not be seen on the iyonix nor can the iyonix be
seen in the ShareFS window.

But these failures do not matter as I can now share files with FTP.

> Does file-sharing with a Windows PC work?

I have no Windows PC, save an emulated one on the Mac and I don't have
VirtualRPC running under that emulated Windows OS.  VirtualRPC only runs
here under Mac OS.

Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim at powys.org
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/