[Virtualacorn-list] No 'Off' on Shutdown window

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Sat Mar 19 14:20:11 GMT 2011

In article <4D8496F5.5030200 at druck.org.uk> David J. Ruck wrote:
> On 15/03/2011 22:27, Mik Towse wrote:
> > Until yesterday, to 'close' VRPC I pressed Ctrl-Sh-F12&  clicked on
> > 'Off'. Now the 'Off' icon is greyed out&  I have to 'Shutdown'&  close
> > the VRPC window. Don't recall doing anything other than add a Windows
> > folder to my list of drives, so no idea what's gone awry. Can someone
> > tell me how to get the 'Off' icon back?
[snip]
> IIRC the shutdown stuff is done with a utility in !Boot. Have you made
> any changes to that recently? Have a look at the original boot sequence
> supplied on the VRPC installation discs and see if there is anything
> missing.
Nope, I hadn't made any changes, but since I didn't get any replies, I spent
an afternoon exploring. It seems that the some files in Plugins needs a
',faa' extension which was missing.

> I'm sure someone running VRPC can locate the component which I'm talking
> about and give it's exact name and location.
Thanks for the thght, but I already sorted this. ITE I reinstalled my
'working' version on VRPC. After comparing to 'legacy' versions held
elsewhere it was clear that some of the components had 'gone away'. No idea
why. Only major thing I've done recently is installed an Apache server &
created a 'no-types' drive on VRPC for the /htdocs/ directory.

One unconnected thing came to mind, after the reinstall. IIRC someone
commented that their VRPC was running very sluggishly; pointer skip etc.
This was the situation for me after teh reinstall & VRPC wasn't the problem.
If you use a desktop font, the default font cache size is probably too small.
Increasing this to 512 (say> & the max (1020) will stop that.

Most ppl probably know this already, but won't hurt to repeat...

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all.