[Virtualacorn-list] Comparison of VRPC on Mac or Windows 7

T.O.M.S. toms at ndirect.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 22:20:51 GMT 2011

On 4 Mar, Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com said:

> When I used to use VRPC in full screen mode & it 'dropped out',
> invariably because I launched a link to Firefox, I found pressing
> Alt-Tab until VRPC was highighted brought me back into full
> screen.

Nice one Mik! That's a further valuable snippet tending to support
something we're working on to fettle this problem.

Firstly, when VirtualRPC 'drops out' into a window, you may find the
window contents are also frozen, i.e. the RISC OS backdrop hasn't been
rescaled down to fit the smaller window. And if the RISC OS pointer
just happens to be visible in that portion of the window, you'll
probably find that's also frozen. Or as others report, the window
contents may go black (blank).

The standard Windows action of pressing <Alt-Tab> is to step between
two or more windows on the Windows backdrop. (It's a little-known but
valuable feature, but the more windows you have on-screen, the easer
it is to step between them using <Alt-Tab>.)

So if you have just two windows on the go - in this example say
Firefox and (the collapsed) VirtualRPC - the effect of pressing
<Alt-Tab> would be to bring the VirtualRPC window to the front and -
as would seem to be the case from what you say - to force it to
refresh its contents. Evidently, causing the VirtualRPC window to
refresh its contents pushes it back into full-screen mode. I've just
been trying it and what you say does work fine (XP Home).

Thanks again, yet more evidence. A little more testing and we should
be able to go public with a) what we think is happening and b) what
you/we might be able to do about it.

Mike Nicholl
pp T.O.M.S.
toms at ndirect.co.uk

--
Training, Operations & Management Services