[Virtualacorn-list] Comparison of VRPC on Mac or Windows 7

T.O.M.S. toms at ndirect.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 20:05:19 GMT 2011

Hello folks

We've been following this thread, trying to draw some conclusions
but - as usual - the reported hiccups, possible causes and potential
workarounds don't appear to have a common basis. So no change there
eh?.  :-)

However, although the 2 <Alt-Enter> keyings are quite rightly
mentioned, can we take this a little further with another couple of
thoughts? They seem to work just as well for XP and W7/Mac users so
may assist.

Firstly, if pressing <Alt-Enter> a couple of times doesn't do it for
you, try clicking on the full-screen mode icon in the VirtualRPC
window. You may have to click on the icon twice - or even three
times - but you might then find it then all comes good. This seems to
be more 'forceful' than <Alt-Enter> and invariably clears the blank
screen problem.

It also works if you get a blank screen at start-up, especially if you
go straight to full-screen. And someone recently reported that it also
clears the very occasional "failure to create primary surface" he gets
on his W7 setup. So maybe it will work for Macs.

The second point is where you normally use VirtualRPC in full-screen
mode, drop it into a window to do something in Windows, but then hit
probs. We suggest you consider routinely minimising VirtualRPC
altogether, taking the window off-screen and which in our experience
seems to avoid clashes with Windows stuff.

To do it, press <Alt-Enter> to drop VirtualRPC into a window, then
either click on the '-' Minimise button near the top right of the
window or - more convenient in our view - click once on the
'VirtualRPC-xxx' tab in the system tray.

To revert to VirtualRPC full-screen, click once on the tab in the
sytem tray, press <Alt-Enter> once - and you're back to full-screen.

No promises, but that does seem to make things noticeably more
reliable for us and (reportedly) for others.

And for the record, VirtualRPC isn't the only bit of Windows
application software which exhibits the same sort of problems. It can
certainly affect anything else running in full-screen mode, sometimes
without the option (e.g. some video editing suites which effectively
take over the machine).

HTH, but please do keep coming back with reports, one day we'll crack
it.

Mike Nicholl
pp T.O.M.S.
toms at ndirect.co.uk

--
Training, Operations & Management Services