[Virtualacorn-list] Comparison of VRPC on Mac or Windows 7

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 22:52:17 GMT 2011

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:

> Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

[snip]

> > > Anyway full screen is the one to use.

Attributions have been over snipped but the words above are mine, and that
works best for me where best means just that and not necessarily 100%.

> > I use this 'mode' all the time. I haven't paid over the odds for a
> > monitor with an enormous number of pixels only to reduce the number of
> > useful pixels to that of a £300 monitor! That would have been utterly
> > pointless. I need all of the real estate all for RO :-))
>
> I'd disagree, because in my view you need always to understand that VA is
> just one application on a machine running lots of tasks & apps - and it's
> better to give all of them a chance to interact with you at the same time.
>
> I ran VA in a window, sized at about 95% of the total screen area, so I
> can get at windows stuff more eassily.

The snag is that if I try that here I run the risk of the fatal "primary
surface" error. I have defined RISC OS modes that had VRPC running in a
Windows window that almost fills the screen but just leaves the task bar
visible. I rather think that XP is more "benign" than 7 in this respect.

Isn't this the nub of the matter, compromises have to be made because VRPC
is not entirely comfortable on top of its Windows (7) host.

--
David Pitt