[Virtualacorn-list] Comparison of VRPC on Mac or Windows 7

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Thu Mar 3 21:45:09 GMT 2011

Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

> b) that two Alt_Returns was all that was required to get it back
> again. Should it really been necessary to have to do this, though, if
> VA-RPC was better behaved? [Do any other PC programs suddenly jump out
> of full-screen mode into a black screen, requiring 2 <ALT-RETURNS> to

I think it's quite likely that lots of other full-screen programs create
problems for themselves.  You have to remember that Windows is designed to
multi-task and expects many of the running tasks to be able to communicate
freely via their own dialog window.

The majority of programs that do do this are games; games players understand
that playing a full-screen game is a compromise.  Normally they're more
bothered about other tasks interrupting game-play, and might well shut some
tasks down before playing a game (and reboot the whole machine afterwards).

It's possible that if you google for problems running (any) game in
full-screen mode you'll find tips for simplifying what else is running.

> > Anyway full screen is the one to use.
>
> I use this 'mode' all the time. I haven't paid over the odds for a
> monitor with an enormous number of pixels only to reduce the number of
> useful pixels to that of a £300 monitor! That would have been utterly
> pointless. I need all of the real estate all for RO :-))

I'd disagree, because in my view you need always to understand that VA is
just one application on a machine running lots of tasks & apps - and it's
better to give all of them a chance to interact with you at the same time.

I ran VA in a window, sized at about 95% of the total screen area, so I can
get at windows stuff more eassily.