[Virtualacorn-list] Comparison of VRPC on Mac or Windows 7

Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 14:08:38 GMT 2011

In message <51AE1ECCF0%mik.towse at xemik.com>
          Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

> In article <bbe814ae51.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com> Roger Darlington  wrote:
>> On 2 Mar 2011, David Pitt  wrote:
>> [snip]
>> [Do any other PC programs suddenly jump out of full-screen mode into a
>> black screen, requiring 2 <ALT-RETURNS> to go back to full-screen mode
>> again?]
> Yes, & much worse. Civilaistion V does this, but if the opening video is set
> to play, it does actually kill he m/c. And this program was released last
> year!

>> Only much later did I find out myself that in the case of VA-RPC, 2
>> <Alt-Returns> were necessary. Perhaps a case of RTFM?
>>> Anyway full screen is the one to use.
>> I use this 'mode' all the time. I haven't paid over the odds for a
>> monitor with an enormous number of pixels only to reduce the number of
>> useful pixels to that of a £300 monitor! That would have been utterly
>> pointless. I need all of the real estate all for RO :-))
> So do I, but I do all my web browsing with WXP Firefox & VPRC doesn't like
> going from full screen to Firefox. I use 1440x900 on ROS which, of course, it
> retains whether in a wdw or fullscreen. So the upshot of using VRPC in a wdw
> is that the view is smaller! Now if it was possible to combine (or hide?) the
> Windows pointer when it's over an ROS wdw, I'd be very happy.

You do realise you can remove the windows pointer while running VRPC
in a window, click on the second icon from left (i.e. the one next to
the disc icon) in the bar at top of screen, this turns the windows
pointer off leaving just the RISC OS one and to get the Windows one
back just do ALT and ENTER on keyboard while VRPC is the active window
and the window pointer returns. - This is in the VRPC manual.

--
Chris Hughes
Wakefield RISC OS Computer Show - 16th April 2011