[Virtualacorn-list] Triple or quadruple click on Windows7

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Mon Jun 20 22:52:39 BST 2011

Paul Sprangers <p.sprangers at sprie.nl> wrote:

> Op 19-6-2011 12:42, Alan Adams schreef:
>
> > If this is the case, then double-click, wait a few seconds,
> > double-click again, should also work.

> Unfortunately, it doesn't. On the contrary.

> When I double click on VirtualRPC-SE, the window that contains the
> folder gets a lighter colour - for about two seconds. After that, it
> changes back to its original colour.

Bearing in mind I've never seen a W7 system let alone used one... does this
changing of the colour of a window happen under any other circumstances?  I
wonder what W7 is trying to tell you by doing this?

Does the colour change happen for some other .exe that runs properly, as you
start a double-click?  (To see if it does you might need to reset the mouse
click speed so it's very slow so you can put a noticeable pause between the
two successive clicks of a double click.)

> Only when I double click again within these two seconds, VRPC will start
> up.

I know I asked earlier if you had any extra mouse software, eg that provided
by a mouse vendor (and you said no).  You're sure? eg it's not a USB mouse
with its own driver?

If you explore all the mouse options under (I presume) Control Panel, is
anything unexpected set?   How you describe it makes me wonder if there's
some sort of accessibility option occuring - something to make mouse
activity easier to spot for people with sight or coordination problems.

(In XP some of this is under Control Panel -> Accessibility Options.)

One XP option ClickLock sounds as if it might appear a bit like this - when
enabled a mouse button is locked in the down position after being clicked
once (so people can do drags without having manually to hold a button down),
and the next click releases that.  However experimenting with that here, it
does seem to be able to discriminate between a double click and teh
click-and-hold to start a held-click drag.

> Something similar (but even more weird) happens when clicking on VRPC
> when it is attached to the task bar (as in my setup).
> Clicking once creates a visible selection of the icon (a green-blue
> square surrounds it), which fades away after two seconds.
> One would now expect that a only a second click within these two seconds
> is needed in order to fire up the program, but no... it needs a second
> AND a third click.

> > Then the issue is finding out why the shutdown isn't working. That
> > could be down to something started during !Boot which fails to
> > complete. Attempting to manually quit everything shown by task manager
> > could help identify the culprit.
> When VRPC runs, the task managers shows: Virtual RPC-SA.

I think Alan meant manually quitting everything shown under the RO task
manager.

> When I select that, and click on Quit Task (or something similar - I'm
> using the Dutch OS), it terminates the program in exactly the same way
> as it terminates other programs.

Are you saying that when W7 via the Windows task manager ends the VA task,
the VA task shuts down completely?  That's interesting though it's possible
that W7 is using a more savage approach than the normal ending of VA to
flush that process out of the system.

Going back to your original report of the problem... have the 4-click and
failed shutdown been with you right from the very start?  Or did it all work
ok until some set of MS patches got installed?  Do you keep the machine up
to date patch-wise?