[Virtualacorn-list] Triple or quadruple click on Windows7

Paul Sprangers p.sprangers at sprie.nl
Thu Jun 23 08:29:08 BST 2011

Op 20-6-2011 23:52, Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn schreef:

> Bearing in mind I've never seen a W7 system let alone used one... does this
> changing of the colour of a window happen under any other circumstances?  I
> wonder what W7 is trying to tell you by doing this?
>
> Does the colour change happen for some other .exe that runs properly, as you
> start a double-click?  (To see if it does you might need to reset the mouse
> click speed so it's very slow so you can put a noticeable pause between the
> two successive clicks of a double click.)

Yes, it does. But I don't think this will come as a surprise. It is just
a way to show that something is selected, exactly as on our familiar
RISC OS system, albeit much more spacey.

> I know I asked earlier if you had any extra mouse software, eg that provided
> by a mouse vendor (and you said no).  You're sure? eg it's not a USB mouse
> with its own driver?
Yes, I'm sure. It IS a USB mouse, but not with its own driver. It was
recognised by Windows7 within seconds.

> If you explore all the mouse options under (I presume) Control Panel, is
> anything unexpected set?   How you describe it makes me wonder if there's
> some sort of accessibility option occuring - something to make mouse
> activity easier to spot for people with sight or coordination problems.
>
> (In XP some of this is under Control Panel ->  Accessibility Options.)
>
> One XP option ClickLock sounds as if it might appear a bit like this - when
> enabled a mouse button is locked in the down position after being clicked
> once (so people can do drags without having manually to hold a button down),
> and the next click releases that.  However experimenting with that here, it
> does seem to be able to discriminate between a double click and teh
> click-and-hold to start a held-click drag.

Even if it were so, wouldn't that affect the entire desktop, not only VA?

> Are you saying that when W7 via the Windows task manager ends the VA task,
> the VA task shuts down completely?  That's interesting though it's possible
> that W7 is using a more savage approach than the normal ending of VA to
> flush that process out of the system.

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you mean.
As far as I'm aware, shutting down tasks from the Windows task manager
always shuts down tasks completely.
I even thought that the task manager was specially created for that.

> Going back to your original report of the problem... have the 4-click and
> failed shutdown been with you right from the very start?  Or did it all work
> ok until some set of MS patches got installed?  Do you keep the machine up
> to date patch-wise?

No, as far as I remember, the 4-click and failed shutdown were
introduced when I migrated to Windows Vista and later to Windows 7.
However, since other people happily run VA on the same systems, it must
be a combination of causes, I think.

Again, it is not a catastrophe. My triple click on the task bar is
hardly distinguishable from a single one (I developed a well trained
forefinger) and shutting down only needs one extra click.
It's not that I don't want to get things improved, but if I have to
delve deep into the caverns of a system that I'm completely unfamiliar
with, I think that I rather will continue clicking a bit more.

Anyhow, let's see what the Event logs are going to tell me. At the
moment, they are still 'reading data...'

Kind regards,
Paul Sprangers