[Virtualacorn-list] Triple or quadruple click on Windows7

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Sat Jun 18 17:05:51 BST 2011

P. Sprangers <P.Sprangers at sprie.nl> wrote:

> In article <51e551b1a4brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com>,
>    Brian Jordan <brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > now the VA program requires a treble click whereas all the
> > rest still start with a single click. There is also a new strangeness
> > when I shut down from the RISC OS task manager; this used to work
> > normally and the program shut down gracefully now it shuts down to an
> > empty, transparent window and then Windows reports a fault and starts to
> > search for a solution. Everything else is normal as far as I can see.
>
> This is exactly what happens here. I couldn't describe it more accurately,
> even if I could really speak English.

Has the VA program lost some essential properties?  Eg did it need to be run
as administrator, or in some particular mode.  (I don't have W7 but am sure
I've read of some flags that affect how programs run.)

One thing that could perhaps be an issue is if the incomplete shutdown of
the app leaves some sort of flag set - maybe a lock file created somewhere.
Then I could imagine a quadruple click might /seem/ to be needed to restart
it IF on the first double click the app starts, clear the flag, and stops
and all that happens very fast.  Then the 3rd & fourth clicks might start
the app properly.

Under XP I can see in Event Manager's Security Events Log entries recording
the starts & stops of windows processes, but this is not normally visible.
To get these events (and others) recorded I had to turn on, in Admin Tools
-> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Audit, some options namely:

 - account logons    (domain control so I won't see this?)
 - logon events      (on local boxes, but needs setting above on too)
 - object access     (user access to SACL-controlled device, keys etc)
 - policy changes
 - process tracking  (pgm activation, process end, dup handles ...)
 - system events     (system restarts, shutdowns, sys security changes)

I don't know how one does the same in W7 or indeed whether W7 already offers
some way to see what's happening when the first double-click of the icon is
done, but it would be interesting to see if anything else is being started
before VA gets started, or if - say - VA is being started twice and only one
copy continues to run.