[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC on a USB drive

T.O.M.S. toms at ndirect.co.uk
Sat Aug 27 17:17:02 BST 2011

This is for Dave Symes:

At 15:13 on 27 Aug, Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk said:

Dave Symes dave at triffid.co.uk

> I think we have a problem here in that you are running different
> versions of VRPC from the different places.

Not relevant in this instance.

> I'll give you a specific it won't work here...

Big snip of your description of putting the test file on HardDisc4.

But I see what's happening and the reason for the confusion.

The situation is that you have copied the VirtualRPC-Adjust
installation from the hard disc drive C: to the memory stick (let's
call it drive Z:)

You then start up VirtualRPC by double-clicking on the 4-cog icon on
the memory stick installation (Z:)

You open up HardDisc4 and see the test file saying "This is on the
Hardrive version of VRPC" - so you deduce you are running VirtualRPC
from Drive C: ....

**This is to be expected**.  The reason is that -- even though you
*are* running VirtualRPC (and RISC OS) from drive Z: -- the HardDisc4
'mount' you are accessing is still set to look at the Windows
HardDisc4 folder on Drive C:

To prove that, please try the following:

- On the memory stick (Z:), open up the VirtualRPC-xxx folder.

- Find the Models folder and open it.

- Select which of the 3 core emulations you normally use - say
"StrongARM RISC OS Adjust (Jit)" - and double-click on it.

- Double-click on the Model file to load it into WordPad or NotePad.

- Look in the [HostFS] section for the line starting mount0 =

- It will most likely say "HardDisc4 'C:\Program
Files\VirtualAcorn\VirtualRPC-AdjustSA\HardDisc4' bootopt=2,showext"
(that is unless you have renamed the mount to something else).

In other words, although you are running VirtualRPC-AdjustSA from the
memory stick (Drive Z:), the HardDisc4 mount on the memory stick is
still set to look at the Windows folder named HardDisc4 on the
internal hard disc drive C:  Which is why you see "This is on the
Hardrive version of VRPC".

I know you don't want to run VirtualRPC from the memory stick. But if
you did, and wanted to access the copy of the HardDisc4 folder *on the
memory stick* you would need to change the mount0 = leafname address
from C: to Z: and make any other necessary changes to match the actual
leafname of the HardDisc4 folder on drive Z:

We're still pondering the error message you reported in the original
post, it's got us flummoxed.

Mike Nicholl
pp T.O.M.S.
toms at ndirect.co.uk