[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC on a USB drive

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Sat Aug 27 15:46:08 BST 2011

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn <jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:

> Please tell us how you are trying to start this VRPC.  Shortcut?  If so
> what's in definition of the shortcut?  Is it all correct?

I've had another idea...  Although the vrpc .exe itself is possibly found by
the shortcut or whatever you're using, that .exe will try to load some DLLs.

I would expect that Windows looks down the directories specified on PATH to
find DLLs (and possibly also the folder that the .exe is in, first).  If the
new location isn't on PATH this might fail.  The shortcut, if you're using
ine would probably also need 'Start in' set correctly.

Anyone experimenting by /copying/ VRPC around would not have a problem
because such DLLs would still be found because the normal definition of PATH
includes everything in C:\Program Files\.   But if you've /moved/ the DLLs
supplied inside the VRPC install directory out of PATH then I'd expect
problems.

Please tell us more.