[Virtualacorn-list] Windows panes flashing under dead full-screen RO

David Pitt pittdj at pittdj.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 09:50:59 GMT 2010

Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 16 Nov 2010, Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn  wrote:

[snip]

> > Indeed.  It worries me that Roger is having so many problems that others
> > don't see.  Why?
>
> I'm a RO power user that doesn't really know how to work windows :-)

VRPC should not require in depth expertise in the host but Windows does need
to be kept safe.

> Does that mean that no one has ever seen the condition I described (way
> above) where the RO window is just a ghost temporarily hiding all the
> active Windows things underneath it until a mouse button is pressed when
> the active windows underneath are very very briefly (about 1 scan-frame
> period) visible? If so, I am surprised.

I have not seen Roger's manifestation but it comes as no great surprise
that there are problems. I have seen VRPC destroyed by PC activity, with
Vista particularly. I had believed that Window 7 resolved that but now I
have my doubts. NVidia graphics seems to be a hazard.

This morning I was using VRPC on Windows 7 in full screen mode when it
suddenly collapsed out of full screen mode to a black screen within a
Windows window. It did this twice. I saw no sign of anything unexpected
within Windows, the harddisc was doing something but I did not manage to
work out what that was. Two Alt-Enters got VRPC back. And then it did it
again. No big deal perhaps but it does add to my view that VRPC does not
always sit comfortably on its host.

I am minded to move that copy of VRPC to another PC. A second copy of VRPC
on another laptop has been OK so far but it has not been used much.
--
David Pitt