[Virtualacorn-list] Windows panes flashing under dead full-screen RO

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Thu Nov 18 10:26:37 GMT 2010

On 18 Nov 2010, David Pitt  wrote:
> Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

>> On 16 Nov 2010, Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn  wrote:

> [snip]

>>> Indeed.  It worries me that Roger is having so many problems that others
>>> don't see.  Why?
>>
>> I'm a RO power user that doesn't really know how to work windows :-)

> VRPC should not require in depth expertise in the host but Windows does need
> to be kept safe.

>> Does that mean that no one has ever seen the condition I described (way
>> above) where the RO window is just a ghost temporarily hiding all the
>> active Windows things underneath it until a mouse button is pressed when
>> the active windows underneath are very very briefly (about 1 scan-frame
>> period) visible? If so, I am surprised.

> I have not seen Roger's manifestation but it comes as no great surprise
> that there are problems. I have seen VRPC destroyed by PC activity, with
> Vista particularly. I had believed that Window 7 resolved that but now I
> have my doubts.

Interesting.

> NVidia graphics seems to be a hazard.

Now that is something I do have: an Nvidea GeForce 260 shoe-box inside
the i7 computer case which is used to full (RO) capacity: 16MB VRAM.
That is 2560x1600 x 16M colours.

I wonder if the ghosting is anything to do with that? RO might have
totally crashed and exitted, but the graphics card has kept the RO
screen image in its memory and only shows the Windows7 windows when a
mouse button is pressed?

Could this be what is really happening?

Of course, that doesn't mean that the RO emulator gets off lightly; it
has crashed irretrievably.

> This morning I was using VRPC on Windows 7 in full screen mode when it
> suddenly collapsed out of full screen mode to a black screen within a
> Windows window. It did this twice. I saw no sign of anything unexpected
> within Windows, the harddisc was doing something but I did not manage to
> work out what that was. Two Alt-Enters got VRPC back. And then it did it
> again. No big deal perhaps but it does add to my view that VRPC does not
> always sit comfortably on its host.

Something similar has occurred on more than 4 occasions here: the RO
window (originally full-screen) becomes a much smaller and blank
(white) windows7 window in Windows7 desktop. This too takes TWO
ALT-ENTERs to recover from. The first ALT-ENTER gives a larger (and
normal - i'e. it has RO stuff inside it) RO window within the windows7
desktop.

The second ALT-ENTER puts the RO window full-screen. This is as
described in my earlier posting under subject heading 'RO's
full-screen window reduced to blank when iPhone inserted'.

> I am minded to move that copy of VRPC to another PC. A second copy of VRPC
> on another laptop has been OK so far but it has not been used much.

Somethings flakey somewhere.

--

Cheers
Roger