[Virtualacorn-list] Maximum RAM on RO 4.39/ ARM7500-RPC-VA-adjust?

Roger Darlington rogerarm at freeuk.com
Tue Jul 27 22:08:02 BST 2010

On 27 Jul 2010, Kev Smith  wrote:
> In message <1cd6663d51.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com>
>           Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

>>> Try 192MB (128MB+64MB). I'm not sure if higher such as 224MB is supported.

>> OK, I have tried that: it still gives the same problems: a data
>> transfer error when opening a directory containing hundreds of files
>> with long filenames.

>> This doesn't happen with:
>> ROM :16MB
>> RAM: 128MB + 32MB

>> So I tried it with:
>> ROM :16MB
>> RAM: 128MB + 48MB

>> and it seems happy, so far.... [but then so far is only 2 minutes,
>> I'll follow up if anything bad happens later).

> I had a similar problem a while back when running VRPC and RO4.02,
> some combinations of values for the RAM worked, some didn't. After a
> few emails to and fro with Aaron, turned out to be something in
> 'PreDesk' that was at fault as installing select and it's new boot
> sequence solved the problem, never worked out which file in PreDesk
> was causing the problem, maybe some corruption from the underlying
> File System (if all fails, blame windross, works for me ;-) )

> Maybe move everything out of predesk and move them back in one at a
> time using the 'dodgy' RAM settings until the rogue file is found,
> then replace that file.

Could it be this BASIC fike called 'SetPreDesk' , which is in the
directory called 8MBBandlimit, which is in the PreDesk directory:

p$="<Obey$Dir>."
SYS "OS_Memory",8+(2<<8) ¸ ,v%
IF v% Πp$+="VRAM"  p$+="NoVRAM"
OSCLI "Set PreDesk$Configure "+p$

I just see there's an '8' there.
My VRAM is set to 16MB.

[clutching at straws, I've no idea what this file does...]

--

Cheers
Roger