[Virtualacorn-list] Maximum RAM on RO 4.39/ ARM7500-RPC-VA-adjust?

Kev Smith kev.smudge at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 27 20:50:47 BST 2010

In message <1cd6663d51.rogerarm at rogerarm.freeuk.com>
          Roger Darlington <rogerarm at freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2010, David J. Ruck wrote:
>> On 25/07/2010 15:27, Roger Darlington wrote:
>>>
>>> I saw a mention somewhere that 256MB RAM is able to be allocated to
>>> VA, but in my experience, this allocation causes great problems for
>>> the filer: it crashes the computer.
>>>
>>> R-comp had to put my allocation back down to 160MB, where no problems
>>> are encountered (apart from continually running out of RAM when I am
>>> doing a lot of work with Netsurf, etc, etc).

>> Try 192MB (128MB+64MB). I'm not sure if higher such as 224MB is supported.

> OK, I have tried that: it still gives the same problems: a data
> transfer error when opening a directory containing hundreds of files
> with long filenames.

> This doesn't happen with:
> ROM :16MB
> RAM: 128MB + 32MB

> So I tried it with:
> ROM :16MB
> RAM: 128MB + 48MB

> and it seems happy, so far.... [but then so far is only 2 minutes,
> I'll follow up if anything bad happens later).

I had a similar problem a while back when running VRPC and RO4.02,
some combinations of values for the RAM worked, some didn't. After a
few emails to and fro with Aaron, turned out to be something in
'PreDesk' that was at fault as installing select and it's new boot
sequence solved the problem, never worked out which file in PreDesk
was causing the problem, maybe some corruption from the underlying
File System (if all fails, blame windross, works for me ;-) )

Maybe move everything out of predesk and move them back in one at a
time using the 'dodgy' RAM settings until the rogue file is found,
then replace that file.

--
Kev Smith

Did you know that nobody reads these?