[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC & USB HDD

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Fri Jan 8 15:51:46 GMT 2010

In article <50d5a5613bbrian.jordan9 at btinternet.com> Brian Jordan  wrote:

> On 06 Jan, Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> > This may seem like an odd request, but I'm interested in people's
> > opinons.
>
> > I run VRPC on a Riscube2 on an external IDE HDD. I recently bought my
> > wife a netbook & intended to copy my ROS HD4 & 5 to its HD over the
> > network when we travel abroad. To this end I have identical versions of
> > VRPC on each computer.
> [Snip]
> If I understand you correctly I do exactly what you want...
[snip]
> Probably you could have applications stored externally too but I haven't
> tried this. Hang on... now I have and you can. I guess then that
> ultimately you could if you wanted just have the !Boot structure in each
> of the HardDisc4s and everything else stored on the external drive and
> thus ensure the machines are always cloned; not a recommendation, just an
> observation.
[snip]
Thanks for your comments, but I wasn't sure what you meant by your last
statement. But anyway, I've copied both ROS HDs to the USB HDD now & all
works well.

Initially, I thought I had a problem, because the VRPC program is on 2
different m/cs the CMOS is different. However, since the netbook doesn't have
a floppy or CD-ROM /and/ has a very different screen size, this was not only
necessary, but proved beneficial.

It's a pain, setting up each m/c, though, because I can't seem to be able to
'Safely Remove' the USB HDD. So I have to close WXP down everytime I want to
move the HDD between the 2 computers.

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

Truth is hard to find and harder to obscure