[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC & USB HDD

Brian Jordan brian.jordan9 at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 7 01:48:10 GMT 2010

On 06 Jan, Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

> This may seem like an odd request, but I'm interested in people's
> opinons.

> I run VRPC on a Riscube2 on an external IDE HDD. I recently bought my
> wife a netbook & intended to copy my ROS HD4 & 5 to its HD over the
> network when we travel abroad. To this end I have identical versions of
> VRPC on each computer.

[Snip]

If I understand you correctly I do exactly what you want...

I have a Virtual RPC-AdjustSA here on my desk and the same on my laptop
both running RISC OS Select 6.20 under Widows 7 and all legitimately
owned - should anyone wonder. Attached to the desktop machine I have 2
USB hard drives, Zen and Orac and on Zen I keep a directory !Myfiles [1]
where my current work is stored; note this is *not* in HardDisc4. This
directory is accessible over the network so that I can use it in my study
or on the laptop. If I am away from home for any length of time !Myfiles
gets copied 'as is' onto the laptop and on my return gets put back onto
Zen [2]. For day to day use !Myfiles appears as a mount on the icon bar
of both machines.

Probably you could have applications stored externally too but I haven't
tried this. Hang on... now I have and you can. I guess then that
ultimately you could if you wanted just have the !Boot structure in each
of the HardDisc4s and everything else stored on the external drive and
thus ensure the machines are always cloned; not a recommendation, just an
observation.

[1] The ! isn't necessary but is used in this case to have a !Run file
and a sprite file of my mugshot to decorate the directory in the filer
window(s).

[2] There may be some mileage in using the 'briefcase' facility in
Windows but as I have never used it I won't comment further.

Snags? None so far in 18 months or so.

Brian

Brian Jordan