[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC & USB HDD

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Wed Jan 6 19:26:17 GMT 2010

In article <c54181d550.chris at o2.co.uk> Chris Hughes  wrote:

> In message <50D57CE674%mik.towse at xemik.com>
>           Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> > In article <1c9578d550.chris at o2.co.uk> Chris Hughes  wrote:
[snip]
> In theory if you have registered both copies using the internal hard
> drives then you will already have the unlock code for each and provided
> you leave the main program on the internal drives and amend the paths to
> the VRPC HDD to the drive letter and path of the USB drive on which you
> have the VRPC HDD drives it should work.
Okay thanks, this is what I thght, but...

...okay, I'm being paranoid. I'm worried about how whether WinXp sees a USB
drive differently to a SATA/IDE drive & whether using a USB HDD as a 'main'
drive is good/bad idea compared to using SATA, etc.

The box reckons the USB HDD is up to 450Mbits/s, but I don't know how this
compares to the 200Gb IDE HDD VRPC is on ATM. Since ROS doesn't thrash the
drive like WXP does, I suspect I'd not notice any time lag when booting/using
VRPC.

> Copying the VRPC drive between machines are not affected, its the main
> program that is checking for the MAC Address.
I can confirm that each m/c has it's own (different) copy of VRPC on its
internal drive.

As an aside, I found VRPC wouldn't boot on the EeePC because it couldn't
initialise 'atapicd.dll'; there's no CD-ROM in the m/c. (It does have an
external USB(!) DVD-RW attached, but VRPC couldn't see this.) Removing the
'atapicd' folder from the VRPC program folder solved the boot issue.

[snip]
> > [1] Although I don't see what relevance it has to my query, I do
> > understand the concerns. :o)
> Only queried because you mentioned same copy on both, I mistook that
> as meaning the same copy of the main program.
No problem. I suppose it could have been read that way, but perhaps I'm a bit
naive & assumed that anyone using VRPC & this list would only be using legit'
copies. :-/

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

A conservative is someone who admires the
radicals a century after they're dead.