[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC & USB HDD

Chris Hughes chris at noonehere.co.uk
Wed Jan 6 19:13:36 GMT 2010

In message <50D57CE674%mik.towse at xemik.com>
          Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

> In article <1c9578d550.chris at o2.co.uk> Chris Hughes  wrote:
>> In message <50D57617D7%mik.towse at xemik.com>
>>           Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>> But AFAIK this only applies to /running/ VRPC. Presumably, once VRPC is
>>> up & running on a PC, the MAC addresses are irrelevant to the normal
>>> running of RISC OS and file transfers, etc.
>> No it will check for the MAC address and prevent access.
> Prevent access to what? If VRPC is /running/ it has passed the MAC address
> validation. Are you saying that there are further checks after whilst VRPC is
> running?

It checks for the MAC address that is associated with the copy of VRPC
in use. So if you move the USB HDD between computers  and you have the
main program on it, it will request a new code. In theory if you have
registered both copies using the internal hard drives then you will
already have the unlock code for each and provided you leave the main
program on the internal drives and amend the paths to the VRPC HDD to
the drive letter and path of the USB drive on which you have the VRPC
HDD drives it should work.

Copying the VRPC drive between machines are not affected, its the main
program that is checking for the MAC Address.

>> There is also the licence implication of running the same (one
>> licence) copy on two computers, which breaches the licence conditions.
>> I really hope Mik is not doing this.

[snip]

> [1] Although I don't see what relevance it has to my query, I do understand
> the concerns. :o)

Only queried because you mentioned same copy on both, I mistook that
as meaning the same copy of the main program.

--
Chris Hughes