[Virtualacorn-list] VRPC & USB HDD

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Wed Jan 6 18:26:01 GMT 2010

In article <1c9578d550.chris at o2.co.uk> Chris Hughes  wrote:
> In message <50D57617D7%mik.towse at xemik.com>
>           Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> > In article <50d5755f70charles at charleshope.demon.co.uk> charles  wrote:
> >> On 06 Jan, Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> I suspect, but Aaron can confirm, that the software protection, which
> >> depends on the computers MAC address will not let you do this.
> > But AFAIK this only applies to /running/ VRPC. Presumably, once VRPC is
> > up & running on a PC, the MAC addresses are irrelevant to the normal
> > running of RISC OS and file transfers, etc.
> No it will check for the MAC address and prevent access.
Prevent access to what? If VRPC is /running/ it has passed the MAC address
validation. Are you saying that there are further checks after whilst VRPC is
running?

> There is also the licence implication of running the same (one
> licence) copy on two computers, which breaches the licence conditions.
> I really hope Mik is not doing this.
For clarification[1], I have 2 legitimate copies of VRPC-AdjustSA. Both
registered & /one/ copy is running on the Riscube2 & EeePC respectively.

In fact, Aaron is aware of the initial scenario whereby I wanted to /copy/
the ROS HDs to the netbook when travelling. He was happy to sell me the
'cheapest' version to achieve this, but I bought an additional SA CD to
ensure that I had the same VRPC on both m/cs. I thght it wise, to avoid
potential VRPC issues when swapping the same HDs between 2 different
versions.

However, the goal-posts have moved slightly, hence my query, but the
principle remains the same.

[1] Although I don't see what relevance it has to my query, I do understand
the concerns. :o)

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

A well adjusted person is one who makes the
same mistake twice without getting nervous.