[Virtualacorn-list] 27 inch iMac with SA-VRPC ?

David J. Ruck druck at druck.org.uk
Mon Jan 4 16:34:17 GMT 2010

Roger Darlington wrote:
> 1) Which processor would provide the greatest RISC OS speed, the dual
> core at up to 3.33GHz, or the quad core at up to 2.8GHz.

VirtualRPC is relies mainly on single threaded performance, so clock
speed is more important than number of cores. However the latest Intel
chips can automatically overclock some of the cores if fewer than the
total are being hammered by single threaded applications, so you need to
read the specs on that.

> 2) naturally I would want the graphics speed to equal or better that
> of an Iyonix with Geminus Accelerator.

Not difficult.

> 3) How much memory should I go for? What amount of memory does
> increasing it no longer make VA-RPC run any faster/smoother? In
> practical terms. 16GB to me sounds excessive, would that make SA-VRPC
> faster than say would 8GB, or 4GB?

The emulator even with a full 256MB allocated shouldn't use over a 1GB,
but I'm not that familiar with the MAC version.

> Graphics performance and graphics speed is of paramount importance to
> me. As is JPEG decoding/displaying speed. (I want no fancy fade
> ins/outs slowing things down by a factor of 10).

Not relevant to the emulator.

Cheers
---David

Email: druck at druck.org.uk