[Virtualacorn-list] Mention in passing

Alan Adams alan at adamshome.org.uk
Thu Aug 19 19:30:56 BST 2010

In message <514912af06dave at triffid.co.uk>
          Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> I was doing some work with VRPC and a friend arrived to visit, so I just
> closed the Laptop lid, putting it into hibernation.

> What I'd forgotten was... The battery is getting to the end of its life so
> doesn't last that long without a power connection...

> Anyway friend stayed longer... I forgot Lappy and came back to it the next
> morning when I did remember, open the lid, but of course it had auto shut
> down when minimum power setting was breached.

> The biggy surprise was, plugging it into the mains, giving it a minute or
> so then pressing the On button, it automatically returned with the VRPC
> intact, everything as it was when I closed the lid, and ready to go.

No surprise if you were using hibernation. Hibernation saves the
entire contents of memory to disk, in hiberfil.sys (a hidden system
file), then powers off. When you power on, it restores the memory and
continues.

The default of standby simply reduces the power consumption. As a
result losing power during standby requires a full reboot.

Resuming from hibernate can cause problems for VA if the environment
has changed, for example you've plugged in or unplugged the network
cable, or the wireless network has changed. Under these circumstances
VA may need restarting.

Apart from that, it is sometimes necessary to press alt-enter a few
times to get the display back.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan at adamshome.org.uk