[Virtualacorn-list] Mention in passing

Jeremy Nicoll - ml virtualacorn jn.ml.vac.83 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Fri Aug 20 02:16:50 BST 2010

Dave Symes <dave at triffid.co.uk> wrote:

> Anyway friend stayed longer... I forgot Lappy and came back to it the next
> morning when I did remember, open the lid, but of course it had auto shut
> down when minimum power setting was breached.

I'm not sure that there's any "of course" about this.  It depends on how you
have configured power management for the machine.

> The biggy surprise was, plugging it into the mains, giving it a minute or
> so then pressing the On button, it automatically returned with the VRPC
> intact, everything as it was when I closed the lid, and ready to go.

That means your machine was configured to go into hibernation when the
battery level dwindled to a certain low percentage.  As a battery gets older
it's worth checking that the threshhold at which this takes effect is
sufficiently large to guarantee that there's enough oomph left to run the
hibernation process cleanly.