[Virtualacorn-list] Loosing internet connection with XP

Mik Towse mik.towse at xemik.com
Thu Apr 22 09:36:28 BST 2010

In article <7e5dd70b51.ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com> ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com wrote:

> In message <510BA1AC24%mik.towse at xemik.com>
>           Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:
> > In article <9b2c9a0b51.ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com>
> > ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com wrote:
[snip]
> > Have you tried resetting the router when it happens? Might be that the
> > DHCP lease has expired & not renewed properly.
> No I haven't but the Iyonix can still access the web so the router is
> working for that machine. I'm not an expert here but I would have
> thought that the DHCP address would be the one that the router used
> when contacting the server.
The DHCP address is the one allocated by the router to each computer attached
to it. So if one computer doesn't get a valid address it wouldn't be able to
connect to the network, but the others should connect ok.

And, of course, anything on a fixed address should work just fine.

[snip]

I haven't actually tried renewing the lease instead of rebooting the router,
so perhaps I should try that next time this happens (which is around every
2/3 weeks).

--
Mik Towse * mik.towse at xemik.com * http://www.xemik.co.uk/
My writers' site can be found at: http://www.lexis.org.uk

xemik.net - cost effective web hosting : http://xemik.net

A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep