[Virtualacorn-list] Loosing internet connection with XP

ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 22 08:29:05 BST 2010

In message <510BA1AC24%mik.towse at xemik.com>
          Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

> In article <9b2c9a0b51.ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com>
> ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com wrote:

>>> What's reporting the loss of connection?
>> Windows. "Windows cannot make a connection" or some such words.
> [snip]

>>> Is that a wireless conection (in which case, I'd say losing one often is
>>> normal)?
>> All wired.

>>> - and might that be a wired connection to the router?
>> Yes, via the (same) router.
> Have you tried resetting the router when it happens? Might be that the DHCP
> lease has expired & not renewed properly.

No I haven't but the Iyonix can still access the web so the router is
working for that machine. I'm not an expert here but I would have
thought that the DHCP address would be the one that the router used
when contacting the server.

> I find that quite often (PC) Firefox takes an eternity to resolve URls & most
> times quitting & re-running it solves the problem for a short while.

> Then Hermes can't access my mailboxes on VRPC. usually restarting ROS solves
> this, but not always. In this case, resetting the router cures the problem.

I'll try re-booting the router when it happens next.

> While my Riscube is having problems, everyone else can access the 'net
> without a problem.

Same here. See above.

Ralph

--