[Virtualacorn-list] Loosing internet connection with XP

ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com ralph_valmai at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 24 16:23:58 BST 2010

In message <510BDD88D4%mik.towse at xemik.com>
          Mik Towse <mik.towse at xemik.com> wrote:

>>> Have you tried resetting the router when it happens? Might be that the
>>> DHCP lease has expired & not renewed properly.
>> No I haven't but the Iyonix can still access the web so the router is
>> working for that machine. I'm not an expert here but I would have
>> thought that the DHCP address would be the one that the router used
>> when contacting the server.
> The DHCP address is the one allocated by the router to each computer attached
> to it. So if one computer doesn't get a valid address it wouldn't be able to
> connect to the network, but the others should connect ok.

> And, of course, anything on a fixed address should work just fine.

I'm back home again now.

My apologies, I seem to have given the wrong impression. The DNS URL
given to all the machines on the network is the (fixed) address of the
router (192.168.123.254 for my router). All the machines have fixed
LAN addresses. I assume the Virgin Media server converses with the
router using DHCP.

Ralph

Ralph & Valmai Stevens
In leafy Epping